In order to remain healthy in the present times, yoga has become the first choice not only of Indians but also of foreigners. Ancient style yoga can prove to be efficient to protect the body from diseases and other problems.
Yoga helps in keeping a person healthy not only physically but mentally as well. There has also been much scientific research on the subjects of Yoga and Pranayama, in which these have been found beneficial.
Although there are many types of yoga, today we have brought this article for you, in this article, you will know what is Adho Mukha Svanasana, What are the benefits and steps of doing Adho Mukha Svanasana, and the right way to do Adho Mukha Svanasana. So let’s begin.
What is Adho Mukha Svanasana Yoga Pose?
Adho Mukha Svanasana is one of the 12 asanas of Surya Namaskar, this asana is also an essential part of Surya Namaskar, the name of this asana is Adho Mukha Savasana consisting of four words of Sanskrit language- Adh-mukh-svan-asan.
Adh – down or forward.
Mukh – Face.
It means “downward” which means to face downwards.
Savan – Dog.
Asana – Posture.
This pose appears just like a dog that is tilted. This asana is called Adho Mukha Svanasana because while doing this asana, the shape (mudra) is created in the same way that the dog bends forward and builds its body, or inside this posture, you have to reverse your body in the shape of the “V” English word I have to move upwards.
In this posture, the bending position (posture) is considered to be quite good which can be comfortable and rejuvenating. This yoga pose produces energy in our body, which heats the body. Practicing this asana helps in increasing the blood flow in your head and brain.
Practicing this mudra provides relief from back pain and sciatica. This asana helps reduce the imbalance in your body and improves strength.
Steps of doing Adho Mukha Svanasana-
Take a yoga mat and stand on it.
- Now keeping your legs straight, bend down towards the ground with both hands forward.
- In this case, your body will look like the shape of a table.
- Now slowly take out your breath and raise the hips towards the ceiling.
- You have to keep your hands and feet as straight as you can and keep your head straight down.
- To make this easier, you need to make sure that the body resembles the inverted “V” shape.
- Now you have to keep your feet parallel to the palms, keeping your palms upright on the ground and away from the shoulders.
- After this, you try to stretch the neck long while pressing both your hands together into the ground.
- Make sure that your ears close to the inner part of your arms.
- Raise the hips upward as much as possible.
- Try to focus your eyes on the navel.
- Now slowly take a deep breath and stay in this position for a few seconds and then bend your knees and return to the table position. You have to repeat this action for 1 minute.
Health Benefits of Adho Mukha Svanasana
- This yoga pose is beneficial in strengthening the whole body, especially the arms, shoulders, and legs.
- Another benefit of practicing this asana is that it increases the circulation of the brain.
- It lengthens the spine and strengthens the chest muscles thereby increasing the capacity of the lungs.
- It rejuvenates the body and energy and makes you feel energetic.
- Adho Mukha Svanasana can be beneficial in the treatment of sciatica diseases.
- This yoga is also beneficial for lung disorders like asthma.
- This yoga also helps in treating the symptoms of menstruation such as menstrual pain and discomfort.
- It also helps to relieve mild depression and stress.
- Regular practice of this yoga improves digestion and also helps in getting rid of constipation.
- It also helps in relieving the symptoms of sinusitis.
- Adho Mukha Svanasana makes you feel energetic and rejuvenated.
- It calms the brain and helps to relieve stress and depression.
- This posture makes the hands, body, shoulders, and legs strong.
- Due to the weight-bearing nature of the posture on the arms and legs, it helps strengthen bones and prevent osteoporosis.
- It helps to relieve the symptoms of menopause.
- It relieves headaches, insomnia, back pain, and fatigue.
- This Adho Mukha Svanasana Mudra can be used as a therapeutic method and remedy for high blood pressure, asthma, sciatica, flat feet, and sinusitis.
Points to keep in mind while doing Adho Mukha Svanasana
When this yoga is done correctly, it can greatly benefit the whole body. When you are practicing this mudra, you must keep the following suggestions in mind:
- Warm-up is necessary before practicing any asana and hence before practicing this asana you should do some warm-up for your arms and calf muscles.
- Anyone with sensitive wrist or carpal tunnel syndrome can keep a towel under their palms while doing this posture.
- This seems like a simple pose, but it is not. One of the most common mistakes in doing this asana is to put too much weight on your hands. Instead, keep your weight evenly on your hands and feet.
Precautions to be kept in mind while doing Yoga Pose
- If you are struggling with the problem of high blood pressure, then do not practice Adho Mukha Svanasana at all.
- In addition, people with recent or chronic inflammation/injury to the hands, wrists, shoulders, back, hips, knees, feet, or ankles should start practicing it only after consulting their health doctor before practicing the posture.
- Pregnant women should do this asana only after taking the proper advice of the doctor on increasing pregnancy.
- If you are suffering from Carpal Tunnel Syndrome (CTS), do not practice it.
- If you are suffering from weak eye capillaries, then you should avoid practicing it.
- If you are suffering from the retina of the eye, then you should not practice this yoga pose.
- If you have an injury to your shoulder or have any type of severe pain, do not practice Adho Mukha Svanasana.
- If you are struggling with diarrhea then do not practice this yoga.
- People suffering from uncontrolled high blood pressure, weak eye capillaries, isolated retina, or any other infection or inflammation of the eyes and ears should avoid practicing this yoga pose.
If you are a fitness freak and want to know more about yoga poses, then you can join a 100 hour yoga teacher training in Rishikesh, India.
Hope after knowing all these benefits, you will never have to say what is Adho Mukha Svanasana, and, what are the benefits and steps of doing Adho Mukha Svanasana.