Do you want to know how to transfer OST File to PST in Outlook? If you’re stumped as to how to save an Exchange Server mailbox (.ost) to PST format, read on. Users will find direct and workable methods to perform OST to PST migration in this blog. To export offline mode Outlook data items into PST file format, all of the solutions or methods described here are simple, convenient, and secure. As a result, our main goal is to provide the most user-friendly solution for exporting data from Exchange mailboxes to Outlook.
A Quick Look at the OST and PST Files
Let’s take a quick look at the differences between OST and PST files. Microsoft Outlook is a widely used email program that comes as part of the Microsoft Office suite. The entire data of the email application was saved in two different file formats. Offline Storage Table is abbreviated as OST.
It is critical for saving Microsoft Exchange mailbox data in offline folders, which allows users to access their mailboxes even when Exchange is unavailable. Users can make any changes in offline Exchange (cached Exchange), which will be updated once the Exchange connection is established. This OST file also allows users to work offline.
PST, on the other hand, stands for Personal Storage Table. When a new Outlook profile is created, it is automatically created. The data file, which contains a copy of Outlook data items such as emails, contacts, calendars, tasks, and so on, is saved at the user’s end. PST is a real storage file, not one that has been cached.
Situations that Necessitate to Transfer OST File to PST File
Users may need to export OST mailboxes to Outlook PST format in certain circumstances. Here are some scenarios in which users may need to transfer OST file to PST file in order to retrieve an OST file in Outlook.
- Exchange Server crashes or fails unexpectedly.
- To convert an OST file to a PST file, data migration is required.
- A backup of a selected mailbox on the Exchange Server is required.
- Important Exchange Mailboxes on the Server are Deleted.
- During Exchange Server Maintenance, OST Files become inaccessible.
- EDB files have been corrupted.
When migrating an OST file to Outlook, you’ll also need to understand how to transfer OST file to PST format. Follow the steps in the next section to learn how to transfer an OST mailbox to Outlook.
Manually Transfer OST file to PST file are in three ways
There are a few manual methods to transfer OST file to PST that you can use. The following are some of the native procedures: –
Solution #1: To export a new PST file, use the Import and Export Method
Your Outlook on your PC must be connected to your Exchange account in order for this solution to work. To make it simple to export a new PST file from Outlook.
- Open Microsoft Outlook and select “File” from the menu in the top-left corner.
- Go to the Open & Export menu and select Import/Export from the drop-down menu.
- A new box will appear, and you must select “Export to a File” and then click the Next button to proceed with the process.
- Next, select Outlook Data File (.pst) and click the Next button to proceed.
- Select the folder you want to export in the next window and click Next.
- Browse to the location where you want to save the newly created PST file and select the appropriate option for duplicate items. To complete the process, click Finish.
- After that, your new PST file for Outlook will save in the location you specified. This solution will assist you in transferring data from an OST file to a new PST file.
Solution #2: Export OST Mailbox to Outlook Using the Archive Method
Users can transfer OST mailboxes to a separate PST file in the system using these Archive settings. The solution allows the user to keep the mailbox size at a minimum in order to save older data mailboxes in an archive folder.
To create an archive mailbox, simply follow the simple steps outlined below: –
- To begin, open Microsoft Outlook on your computer.
- Go to the File menu and select Options from the drop-down menu.
- Now go to the Advanced tab and select AutoArchive Settings from the drop-down menu.
- Choose the number of days you want the auto-archive method to run for. Also, select the location where the archived file will save.
- To continue, select other archiving options and click the OK button.
- The entire data items are save in Outlook data to PST file automatically according to your archiving settings in a few moments.
Note: Users can migrate OST data except contacts using this archive settings method.
Solution #3: Use the drag-and-drop method.
- Start by opening MS Outlook and creating a new PST file for your Outlook profile.
- From the toolbar, select New Items. Select More Items >> Outlook Data File from the drop-down menu.
- In the optional password box, enter a file name and a password.
- When you click the OK button, your Outlook profile will save as a PST file.
All of your selected mailbox folders can be exported to your newly created PST file. Keep in mind that you won’t be able to drag the Inbox or Contacts folders into the PST file.
Note: The conversion of your OST file to PST is not guaranteed by any of these manual methods. To avoid data corruption and data deletion, as well as incomplete conversion processes, it is always recommended to use a professional approach.
Manual methods, on the other hand, are not recommended for users who are willing to take a chance with OST to PST migration. There are some limitations for users who use the manual approach to export offline OST data for Outlook.
- Manual solution is a time-consuming and risky process.
- To complete the solution, technical knowledge is required.
- Data loss is a possibility during migration.
- Human errors are becoming more common.
- Exporting OST mailbox data is restricted due to file size limitations.
[Recommended] Professional Solution – OST to PST Converter Software
Users must choose one of the trusted solutions, such as SysTools OST to PST Converter, to overcome all of these flaws. It is a secure solution for users that makes the entire task simple and straightforward with no room for error. The tool was created to allow users to recover and convert OST files without losing any information. It is a successful tool to convert OST files to PST format for Outlook without losing any data. By keeping all emails in the same folders, the tool provides a 100 percent safe and secure solution for exporting offline OST data for Outlook. It also ensures that all email properties are preserved. Converting an OST file to PST format with the Best OST to PST Converter is a simple and error-free process.
We’ve covered a variety of methods for exporting OST mailbox data items to PST format for Outlook in this blog. You can save OST mailbox data items to PST format for Outlook using these solutions. Users can also try out different manual backup procedures for OST mailbox data in PST format. Because manual migration of OST data for Outlook is a risky process, it is not recommended. As a result, it is suggested that you use a professional approach to export an OST file to Outlook. Free conversion of 25 items from each folder of an OST file into PST format is provided by a professional solution.