Skincare is no more a women’s thing. Men have also started to understand the significance of skincare, so now they must follow a solid skincare routine, no matter what. Many men might feel a little shy to follow a skincare routine, considering it’s a women thing, but skincare is essential for everyone and is gender-neutral!
You need to invest only a tiny amount of time in following a good men’s skincare routine. The efforts you put in today in following a daily skincare routine for men will benefit you in the future. Besides that, you must use the right men’s skincare products to get the most healthy and glowing skin.
Why a Men’s Skincare Routine is Essential?
Since the face gets exposed to environmental aggressors, now and then, following a good men’s skincare routine becomes quintessential to provide much-needed care to your skin. Your skincare goes way beyond washing your face and body with soap – you need to go the extra mile to protect your face.
Moreover, men have higher sebaceous glands compared to women, so having larger pores and making skin more vulnerable to sun damage. The problems like excess oil, acne, wrinkles, breakouts etc., are more than sufficient reasons to follow a skincare routine for men for healthy, clear and youthful skin. Additionally, ageing signs appear later in men compared to women, but when they occur, it is much powerful.
So, that’s why following a men’s skincare routine is essential.
Before you begin with your simple skincare routine for men, you should know your skin type. When you are aware of your skin type, you can buy the right products and give yourself proper care. So, here’s how you can figure out your skin type.
Know Your Skin Type:
Dry or Sensitive Skin: If your skin becomes red or irritated over the smallest exposures and applications or it feels dry or tight, then you have got dry or sensitive skin.
Oily Skin: If your face gets a natural shine and oily bits, then you have got oily skin. You get oily skin when your body creates sebum in excess and lacks moisture.
Normal Skin: Normal skin means neither your skin gets oily during any time nor does it feel dry or irritated frequently. You can consider this skin type as a well-balanced one.
Combination Skin: If the horizontal stripe of your forehead and the vertical stripe running down to the nose tip feels oily, and the rest of your face feels dry, then you’ve got combination skin.
So, you must have figured what your skin type is. Now, get the skincare products based on your skin type and then follow the men’s skincare routine.
Men’s Easy to Follow and Step-by-Step Skincare Regimen:
Step 1: Cleanse Your Face
The first and foremost step of a men’s skincare routine is cleansing the face properly. As your face gets the most exposed to external conditions, washing your face with a face wash is a must. You should wash your face once in the morning and at night. If you wash your face more than twice a day, it can result in dryness. Only consider washing your face more than twice a day if you feel sweaty and oily.
How to Cleanse Your Face Perfectly?
- Start with a lukewarm water shower so impurities can make their way off the skin and the pores open up.
- Next, pour some men’s face wash on the palm of your hands and apply it to your face and lather well for 30 seconds by rubbing your face in a circular motion.
- Make sure you don’t rub your face vigorously, as it will pull down the skin and lead to wrinkles since facial skin tends to be delicate.
- Rinse your face with cool water so that the pores shrink and limit the entry of oil and dirt.
- Dry your face using a soft towel and do not rub the towel, instead, pat dry.
Using a facial cleanser in the morning would bypass dull skin, and using it at night would protect the face from oil and pore-clogging bacteria. If you’ve got dry or normal skin, get a face wash with hydrating ingredients, and for oily or acne-prone skin, you can use a volcanic sand-based face wash that removes excess oil, fights acne and benefits much more.
Step 2: Exfoliate Your Skin
Exfoliation means removing dead skin cells and other toxins from your skin. Ideally, you should consider exfoliating your skin post-cleansing and before moisturizing. For skin exfoliation, you should use a face scrub, the best means to remove dead skin cells, toxins, unclog pores and result in a clear and bright complexion.
How to Use a Face Scrub?
- After you’ve cleansed your face, you should use a facial scrub as a part of your men’s skincare routine.
- Your face should be wet, and you need to take a tiny amount of scrub on your palms.
- Now, apply face scrub on the face and gently spread it by moving your fingers in a circular motion.
- For men with a beard, you should apply the face scrub in the area inside your facial hair very properly, so the scrub penetrates deeply.
- If you’re planning to shave, using a facial scrub in that area will inhibit ingrown hair and bumps.
You will not need to use a face scrub more than once or twice a week. Only if you’ve got oily skin, you may need to use a face scrub thrice a week.
Step 3: Use a Face Mask
Pampering your skin once a week with a face mask should be a must-added portion of your men’s skincare routine. You can always have an option of making a face mask at home and relax, but why take so much hassle when there are so many great face masks available out in the market. You should use a face mask after cleansing your face and if you’re exfoliating that day, then use one after cleansing and exfoliating.
How to Use a Face Mask?
- Take a good amount of face mask on your fingers and apply it to your face in a circular motion.
- Be gentle when applying the face mask, as the harsh application would irritate your skin.
- Make sure your entire face is covered with the mask.
- Next, let the mask stay on your face for 20 minutes to let it show some good effects on your skin.
- Now, wash off the mask from your face with lukewarm water and then pat dry gently with a soft towel.
Face masks contain natural and powerful ingredients that resolve a lot of your skin concerns. The best face mask for men would be a volcanic clay and charcoal-based clay mask or a peel-off mask by The Men’s Lab that cleanses and nourishes skin, fights and prevents acne, remove excess oil, unclogs pores, removes dead skin cells and helps more.
Step 4: Hydrate Your Skin
One of the best things you can do to your skin is to provide it with much-needed hydration. You should use a moisturizer for providing hydration to your skin. Not just a moisturizer will make your skin softer, but it will also add an extra layer of protection to your skin against dirt and grime that are looking for a way to enter your pores.
How to Use a Face Moisturizer?
- Firstly, like cleansing, you need to moisturize your face twice a day with a men’s face cream.
- You need to apply the moisturizer when your skin is damp, so the moisture gets into your skin and hydrates the skin.
- Now, take some quantity of face cream on the palms of your hands, and apply it to your face.
- You should apply the moisturizer on your face very gently since rubbing would harm your skin.
- If it’s your shave day, do not fail to apply a moisturizer after shaving to avoid allergies or redness.
- If you’ve dry skin, then you could apply moisturizer thrice a day.
Skin moisturization is the most vital step of a man’s skincare routine. Beyond question, there could be nothing better than a moisturizer for hydrating the skin. Moisturizer helps you hydrate the skin, prevent ageing and water loss, and holds the skin firm.
Step 5: Protect Your Skin
UV rays have received a lot of ill-fame since they are skin-harming and age you faster. Everyday application of sunscreen helps you stay protected from UV rays. With sunscreen, you protect your skin from sun damages like spots, burns, discolouration, ageing signs and most importantly, skin cancer. No matter what, you need to apply sunscreen every day whether indoors or outdoors.
How to Use a Sunscreen?
- Apply sunscreen after applying the moisturizer.
- Whenever you’re outside, under the sun, it’s the sunscreen that protects your skin melanin.
- Make sure you apply sunscreen every time you step outside – it’s a must. Apply the sunscreen 30 minutes before you expose yourself to the sunlight, thus giving the sunscreen a good time to get absorbed in the skin protect itself.
- Many people think sunscreen is a necessity during summers, but that’s not quite so.
- The sun is out even in winters, so you need to apply sunscreen in winters too.
So, here a simple and easy to follow men’s skincare routine comes to an end. All a skincare routine takes is some minutes, for which you would be thankful in your old age – when you would look younger than most of your friends!
Once you get involved in practising your skincare routine every day, you might not even notice the confidence and self-care motivation you will imbibe.