5 Surprising Facts About Lung Cancer
Lung cancer is still one of the most life-threatening cancers in the world, yet most young people still take it lightly. The American Cancer Society estimates that there are 235,760 new cases of lung cancer for men and women every year. While lung cancer is common in people over 65, young people can still get it as well.
Here are three surprising facts about lung cancer:
- More people die from lung cancer than any other cancer in America. Lung cancer takes more lives than other cancers combined, but most young people make light of it.
- There are now 400,000 people living with lung cancer. 81% of them are over 60.
- The survival rate of lung cancer is 17%, which is lower than breast cancer, which has a 90% survival rate. Or prostate cancer, which has a survival rate of 90%.
- Smoking is one of the leading causes of lung cancer. It is responsible for at least 90% of all lung cancer cases. Yet, there are still more smokers.
- Exposure to asbestos increases the chances of getting lung cancer. So it is always advisable to prevent yourself from being exposed to anything hazardous that may develop cancer.
That said, there is a treatment for lung cancer for anyone. For instance, lung cancer Orange County-based offers some of the best treatments for lung cancer patients.