Migraine is a chronic neurological disorder with recurrent headache, severe, pulsating and throbbing type of pain, either on one side or on both sides of the head. Irritability, nausea, vomiting, fatigue, depression, hallucinations, severe headache, weakness, sensitivity to light, smell, and loud sound are the common symptoms of migraine. The exact causes of migraine are unknown, but some hereditary and environmental factors play their roles.
A balanced and natural diet, lifestyle modifications, and Ayurveda medicines can profoundly impact migraine management & Migraine Treatment in Ayurveda is also effective to stop migraine from reoccurring. The essential diet and lifestyle suggestions that help to treat migraines are listed below.
Find the trigger and manage Migraine
Migraine always starts with a trigger factor. There are many trigger factors in foodstuffs and our diet. After consuming those kinds of stuff, the migraine attack begins within a few minutes or a few hours. The way to manage and prevent migraine attacks is to identify the food trigger and avoid them altogether.
Eating healthy food
- Eat whole grains in your half diet because whole grains are rich in vitamins and fibers.
- White bread, white rice, pasta, and all maida stuff are harmful and need not be used in the diet.
- Include fresh fruits and a variety of vegetables in your diet.
- Eat healthy fat and not low fat. Avoid trans-fat completely. It causes inflammation in the body and is another cause of migraine. Cow ghee is the best choice for fat.
- Migraine Treatment in Ayurveda follows a strict diet chare and suggests reducing the sodium intake in the diet that is there in processed foods, frozen foods, chips, and other bakery stuff. Minimize the use of these food items.
- Avoid skipping your meals if you are prone to migraines. Hunger and overeating both are the trigger factors for migraines. If your appetite is not very good, you can divide the meal into five small portions per day. Avoid alcohol, cheese, and caffeine. These are the most common migraine triggers.
Keep an optimum level of hydration in your body. Make sure to drink one cup (approx 200 ml) of water every 2 to 3 hours. The intake of water should neither be very low nor very high as overhydration in the body can also act as a trigger factor for migraine.
Use warm spices
Ginger, black pepper, cinnamon, and many other Indian spices contain essential ingredients that act like nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs.
These spices reduce migraine pain by removing the inflammatory agents from the body known as prostaglandins. Migraine Treatment in Ayurveda also recommends using warm spices. These ingredients can also help to correct nausea, which is a prevalent symptom in migraine patients.
Eat a magnesium-rich diet.
Green leafy vegetables, beans, and whole grains are very rich in magnesium, which reduces the chances of migraine pain.
Chocolates can be a powerful trigger for migraines. Some patients are susceptible to chocolates. So, a patient with a tendency of migraine must avoid the intake of chocolates.
Correct eating and drinking habits
Avoid artificial sweeteners, red and white wine. Skipping meals and overeating both can cause migraines. If you are going for long periods of the outing, always keep some healthy snacks like almonds, vegetable slices, and fruit salad.
Make your sleep better.
A good, timely, and sound sleep helps keep the mind and body healthy and reduces stress levels. So, make it a habit of going early to bed and waking up early in the morning. Too much sleep, lack of sleep, and poor quality sleep can be a powerful trigger for migraine and tension headaches.
Smoking is harmful to everyone. It harms the lungs and can act as a powerful trigger for headaches and the other symptoms of migraine.
Correcting the sitting posture
Poor sitting posture can strain the neck, head, and shoulder muscles. The strain causes pain. So, correct the poster by making your spine straight. Correction of the posture reduces the frequency of migraine pain.
A physically active person can control his stress easily. So, do thirty minutes of physical exercise regularly a day. Gradually increase the level of practice. A burdensome activity can again be a trigger factor for migraine. Hence, do only light exercises like yoga and Pranayama. They help in reducing stress also.
Making a diary
- For managing migraine pain:
- Make a habit of noting the factors related to migraine pain.
- Note down the starting time of pain, how it is cured, which medicine, and how much time.
- Do not overuse the pain medicines as they also increase the migraine symptoms.
Avoid triggers of allergy.
Some allergens can worsen the migraine symptoms by excess mucus production and make the nasal passage swell up, resulting in sinusitis and other breathing problems. A cup of warm ginger tea with added Indian spices like black pepper, cinnamon, and cloves to reduce the mucus congestion can help in respiratory allergy. Steam inhalation is also an excellent idea to relieve the symptoms of sinus headache induced due to respiratory allergy.
If you are prone to have a migraine, then stress and overthinking can increase the symptoms. Managing stress, doing some mindfulness practices, breathing exercises, yoga, and doing some charitable work to help needy people will significantly reduce stress levels. Gentle head massage with almond oil, coconut oil, or peppermint oil can reduce stress and headaches.
Protect from sunlight
Migraine patient is susceptible to sunlight. Always use sunglasses while going outside in the sunlight.
Steps for relieving the pain during a migraine attack – Migraine Treatment in Ayurveda
- Put an ice pack on the temporal region of the head or the neck area.
- The patient should take rest in a well ventilated and darkroom.
- Oil massage on the temporal region of the head and neck helps to relieve muscle stiffness.
- A glass of coconut water is beneficial to restore the electrolyte balance in the body.
- Putting a few drops of cow’s ghee in each nostril is a good idea. It strengthens the brain and reduces the symptoms of a headache.
- Migraine Treatment in Ayurveda is the best option for a chronic migraine cure. I hope you found this content informative. Stay tuned for more updates.
Related post: Medicine for Headache