Replace HDD with SSD without reinstalling Windows?
Replace HDD with SSD without reinstalling Windows With Expert Guidance
How to replace notebook HDD with SSD without reinstalling Windows?
Are you looking for software to replace notebook HDDs with SSDs in Windows 10/8/7 without reinstalling Windows and applications? AOMEI Backupper is what you are looking for.
Why replace notebook HDD with SSD?
If you have an older computer and your computer cannot offer you the best performance, the best way is to update your notebook hard drive. Many users choose to replace HDD with SSD. But why?
Faster Speed: SSD offers faster speed. You will feel bigger when you start your computer or upload your local files or folders. More data protection: SSD is more efficient to protect data loss. Because it does not contain any internally removable mechanical part while HDD is made up of many removable parts. Other than that, SSDs are more durable and consume less energy. Common methods for updating SSDs in the notebook When it comes to installing SSDs in a notebook, different ways are used. The following are the two most common ways used.
New SSD to be installed in the notebook
The first way is to install SSD in a notebook. Prepare a Windows installation disc and use it to install the operating system, then install your favorite applications after finishing the new installation.
This operation is not difficult to finish. Connect the Windows installation disc to your computer, change the BIOS boot sequence and boot from it, then follow the instructions step by step. However, it will take much longer.
How to install an SSD without reinstalling Windows
Many users can try the first way and think it is very problematic. They find the second way to complete the notebook SSD update without reinstalling the operating system and applications. Simply clone HDD to SSD using disk cloning software to clone HDD to SSD via USB (SATA-USB cable) or adapter. When finished, replace the existing hard drive and install cloned SSD on your computer. And it costs less time.
How to upgrade HDD to SSD without reinstalling Windows?
To make sure you can successfully clone your hard drive, confirm the following.
- Check the warranty for your notebook. Any unauthorized modification will void the warranty, so it’s best to check if the notebook is still under warranty.
- Choose the right form factor and SSD interface. In the market, most notebooks have 2.5-inch drives. However, ultra-portable notebooks can use 1.8-inch disk sizes.
- Prepare a screwdriver. Remove the existing disk and install the cloned disk at the end of the whole cloning process.
- Prepare a SATA-USB cable or adapter. This is used to connect the disk to the computer.
- Prepare software for disk cloning. Reliable software can help you successfully clone your hard drive without reinstalling Windows.
- Keep a separate external hard drive (optional). To ensure the security of windows, applications, and data, it is best to back them up in advance.
Free disk cloning software: AOMEI Backupper Standard
Excellent disk cloning software can help you clone HDD to SSD easily. If you are a Windows user, AOMEI Backupper will be a great choice for you. It is a software designed for Windows. With it, you can clone to a smaller disk, clone HDD to HDD or larger SSD, etc. AOMEI Backupper will give you great user experience.
Now continue to see the detailed steps:
Detailed steps to clone HDD to SSD in the notebook
- Download disk cloning software – AOMEI Backupper Standard, install it and start it. Then place the SSD in the container or connect it to the SATA-USB adapter and connect it to the laptop with the USB port.
- Access the main page of AOMEI Backupper, select Clone, and Clone Disco.