Technology has made a big impact on the insurance industry. Almost every insurance company in Canada today uses an online home insurance quote that lets users buy a home insurance cover in just a few clicks of the mouse.
How it works?
No matter whether you are already having an insurance cover or not, now you can easily buy a new home insurance policy, or renew an existing home insurance policy in just a few minutes.
- Click the web URL of the insurance broker, or the insurance company.
- Click the button “Get a quote”, “Online quote”, or any other similar button
- An online form will open up and you would be asked to enter your details such as:
- Your address, or postal code of your residence
- Type of home insurance policy – Homeowner, Condominium, or Tenant
- The start date of the insurance
- Your name, date of birth, phone number, Email address
- About the applicants:
- Are there any co-applicants?
- Are the occupants smokers, or non-smokers
- Since when is the property insured?
- Is it mortgaged?
- Have there been any insurance claims on the property
- In the next part details of the property are filled out:
- Amount of coverage required in Canadian dollars
- Distance to fire hydrant
- Distance to fire hall
- Since when you are living there
- Number of families occupying the property
- Details of the building
- Structure – detached, semi-detached, townhouse, rowhouse etc
- Construction type – brick, frame, masonry etc
- Year of built
- In what year was electrical, plumbing, roof and heating updated?
- Primary heating source
- Auxiliary heating source
By filling out the above details an online quote is generated in a few minutes. In case some details are not clear, or additional information is needed, then you will be asked to contact the broker or insurance. Once the clarity has been obtained, then the online home insurance quote will be generated for you.
Benefits of home insurance
Although home insurance is not mandatory in Canada, it is good idea to have one. Why? For one, once you have obtained your home insurance cover, you will have peace of mind. This is the most important benefit. Secondly, you will rest assured that you and your home and its belongings are protected from damage and loss with a comprehensive home insurance policy.
Calgary is one of the best cities of Canada. It is surrounded by nature, has a pleasant climate and winters are not long. Whether you are buying a new home in the city, or have already paid off your mortgage, it is good idea to have it insured as early as possible.
Difference between home insurance and home owner’s insurance
Yes, there is a difference between the two and it is explained below.
Is a wide term that covers all the different types of property insurance for private properties, including homeowners insurance, tenant insurance, condo insurance, and others.
Home owner’s insurance
Home owner’s insurance is an insurance policy that covers risks associated with your dwelling including your possessions, liability claims, etc. The amount of cover depends upon the type of policy that you choose.
Items covered by home insurance cover
When you fill out a home insurance quote, you can obtain insurance cover for the following:
- Your dwelling
- Your personal property
- Your personal liability
- Detached structures
- Additional living expenses
Items excluded by home insurance cover
Below items are excluded
- Overland water coverage
- Landslides and earthquake
- Pest damage
- Frozen water pipes
- Wear & tear
It is good idea to contact a reputed and professional home insurance broker, who can understand your insurance needs and recommend you a home insurance policy that meets your requirements and budget.