These days, people are very much aware of aquatic safety and want to learn all the things to stay safe when around the water. Everyone wants to enjoy in the pools, do water sports, and keep safe when in and near the rivers, seas, lakes, and other water places. But the fear and the phobia of water always stay in the way. That is why, when water safety and the risk of drowning strike your mind, the first thing that might hit you is the swimming lessons. And mind you, swimming lessons are something which helps you to stay safe! The swimming lessons would work as a layer of protection when you are in a drowning or a difficult situation in the water.
Taking swimming lessons to avoid drowning risks is not the idea of the owners of the swimming pools or the trainers but it is backed by the research work as well. The swimming lessons help to reduce the risk of drowning is proved by several types of research. In fact, according to the National Institutes of Health of the US, swimming lessons in the age between 1 – 4 years can reduce the risk of drowning up to 88%, and even more. If this interests you how swimming lessons can reduce the risk of drowning, what’s the best age to learn swimming, how is it beneficial in all the terms, then keep reading?
Best Age To Learn Swimming
Before knowing how swimming reduces the risk of drowning and what the benefits are, let’s first discuss the age you should take the swimming training.
It’s said, at any age you can start to learn how to swim. But, these days, the swimming lessons and techniques to swim have evolved. It is suggested by the American Academy of pediatrics that toddlers of age 1 year should be made easy with the water. Making kids comfortable with water can make them have no fear of the water, and with growing age, they’ll learn to swim easily. But remember, there is no age limit to learn swimming. Start to learn at any age, and you can still help yourself.
NOTE – When toddlers are given the swimming lessons, being the parents makes sure that the swimming pool services, guards, aids, and the standards of the swimming pool comply with the high standards to teach a toddler swimming lessons.
How Swimming Lessons Saves You From Drowning
We never come to this world learned and equipped with knowledge. Let’s say it this way- before we start driving a car, we take training to avoid road accidents. Before we give the school exams, we study because we do not want to fail. Similarly, before we swim perfectly in the big pools, rivers or enjoy the water sports that require swimming, we need to take up the gears and should take swimming lessons to avoid drowning and other risks of water injury.
You see, the swimming lessons are as important as any other training. As in the car driving training, we are taught the complete process of driving from the introduction of the clutch, gear, break, to how to control a speed car at the time of the accident. Similarly in the swimming lessons, we are introduced to a lot of techniques and tricks to swim swiftly. Let’s see a few important things we are taught in the swimming drill:
- One of the most important things that are taught, the very first day of the class is how to stay relaxed in the water and lose the fear and stress from the body.
- The next drill to swim is how to float. Till the time lungs have the air, the human body would float on the surface. As soon as the lungs would lose air, the body would start to become like a stone and would drown.
- to practice swimming competitively, water exercises are recommended to all, the beginners and to the regular swimmers as well. The exercises include walking in the water to know the resistance, be a friend and do not fight with the water, keep your face under the water without goggles, bubbling under the water, and more. More similar kinds of exercise will make you easy with the water and confident too.
- Treading in the water is taught so that you know how to scull and hang up anywhere in the water. So that, you do not always need a surface underneath your feet to stand in the water to stand in the deep water.
- We learn breathing techniques that help to manage breath during swimming, and so the water does not enter the nose or mouth.
- You are trained for long swimming and how to build stamina for the same.
- How to float back to the top from the button, how to prevent injuries, and many similar tricks and techniques are handed to you to train you well to save yourself in difficult times.
Alongside, swimming lessons are not restricted to this much, and these basic tips. Swimming has a lot of strokes, ways of swimming, underwater exercises, and much more. So, once you are into the swimming lessons, you’ll know that they not only save you from drowning but have a treasure of things which you can opt to learn.
Benefits Of Learning Swimming
As we read above, swimming lessons have a lot to offer to us. We have to learn to swim out of jeopardy to save our life at some point or as a hobby. But learning it is essential as it is beneficial in many other ways. The benefits of learning swimming are:
- It keeps our health good,
- Keeps our body weight under control
- Makes us flexible
- Refreshes our mind
- Without pain exercise
Moreover, swimming has a lot of other benefits too. So, to keep your health intact, and as a life savior, taking swimming lessons is important.
The swimming class, arms you well with the safety and precautionary measures. Now, while losing fear and phobia, you can embark and head on to swimming at any place you want.